THE HOLY SPIRIT IS AT WORK IN GHANA!
In areas of rural Ghana where the literacy rate is very low, the Holy Spirit is working powerfully through His Word.
A few years ago, Rev. Nicholas Salifu (a Lutheran pastor from Ghana) was studying at one of the seminaries in the United States. During that time, he saw how Lutheran schools helped to sow and nourish the seeds of faith in God’s children. He decided to try the same thing in Ghana.
Two years later, Concordia Preparatory School has nearly 300 students, half of whom come from Muslim families wanting a good education for their children.
Always passionate about teaching people to read, Rev. Salifu has decided to use A Child’s Garden of Bible Stories and Luther’s Small Catechism as the students’ reading textbooks as well as for religion class.
Before leaving preschool, each child is a beginning reader and can recite the Ten Commandments, the Lord’s Prayer and the Apostles’ Creed.
YOUR STUDENTS CAN HELP.
When they adopt the “Let Me Learn of Jesus” project with their mission offerings, your students provide the books that introduce Ghana’s children to the Savior, Jesus Christ.
GHANA’S GROWN-UPS NEED BOOKS, TOO
In the countryside of northern Ghana, only about 20 percent of the adults can read and write. Rev. Nicholas Salifu and his assistants are helping to change this by conducting adult literacy classes. About 60 men and women are currently enrolled.
Once the students have graduated from the program, they receive their own copies of Luther’s Small Catechism, translated by LHF into the Kusaal language.
“It is very important for the future of the church and for their own spiritual growth that people can read God’s Word in their own language,” said Rev. Salifu. “In this way, their own faith remains strong, and parents can train up their children in the way they should go.”
JUST $5 INTRODUCES A GHANA PARENT OR CHILD TO JESUS AND TEACHES THEM TO READ!
Just $5 – that’s all it takes to provide a family in Ghana with a Bible storybook or catechism, translated by LHF into their own language. When your school or Sunday school adopts “Let Me Learn of Jesus: Lutheran Books for Ghana,” you’ll receive a variety of resource materials from LHF, which will help your students get to know their Ghanaian brothers and sisters in Christ:
- A 5-minute “Let me Learn of Jesus” DVD, showing what everyday life is like in rural Ghana and what it’s like to attend Lutheran school there
- Regular updates from Concordia Preparatory School (if you provide an email address)
- A classroom or chapel devotion that builds on the “Let Me Learn of Jesus” theme
- A resource kit with suggestions for generating enthusiasm for the project, as well as ideas for weaving the project throughout your daily/ weekly curriculum, including arts and crafts, music, and games.
- A take-home flyer for parents
- A variety of large photos for bulletin boards or displays