YOUR MISSON, SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT…
is to help share the Good News of Jesus Christ in Somali and in other countries where Somali refugees have settled, like Kenya and the United States.
DANGER LEVEL: High.
The Somali Muslim government threatens to harm or even kill people who become Christian. Therefore, extreme security measures must be taken. The safest way to tell people about Jesus is through small books that can easily be hidden away.
WEAPONS OF CHOICE: Luther’s Small Catechism and A Child’s Garden of Bible Stories, translated into the Somali and Arabic languages.
THE COST: Only $5 per book!
SOMALIA IS OFTEN CALLed “THE COUNTRY MOST HOSTILE TO THE GOSPEL”- A SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE MISSION
In the militantly Muslim country of Somalia, Christians face intense persecution. In fact, the threats to physical safety are so great that only 0.01% of the population dare to call themselves Christian.
It would seem impossible to share the Good News in such a hard place, but God provides the opportunity! As Somali people pour into refugee camps in Kenya, and then disperse to new homes throughout the world, the Lutheran Heritage Foundation (LHF) shares with them the Good News of Jesus Christ.
WITH GOD, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!
The Somali people are hungry for the Gospel. Never before have they heard of forgiveness so freely given. No one has ever told them that they are beloved children of God, who gave His only Son so that they might one day live with Him in heaven.
YOUR STUDENTS CAN HELP SHARE THIS GOOD NEWS.
LHF gives to the Somali people free books, translated into their own languages, that tell about Jesus – books like Luther’s Small Catechism and A Child’s Garden of Bible Stories.These small books can easily be concealed beneath clothing or packed with personal belongings, so that the new believers don’t need to fear for their safety.
Incredibly, these books cost only about $5 each to produce, so even the smallest gifts make a huge impact on the lives of many. When you adopt the “Mission: Possible” project with your mission offerings, just $50 provides 10 families with Bible storybooks. $250 provides catechisms for a whole classroom of confirmation students wanting to be baptized!
JUST $5 PUTS A BOOK ABOUT THE SAVIOR INTO THE HANDS OF A SOMALI PERSON SEARCHING FOR TRUTH!
When your school or Sunday school adopts “Mission: Possible,” you’ll receive a package of materials to grab your students’ interest in this project and in the people of Somalia, Africa:
- Two short “Mission:Possible” DVDs. The physical and mental persecution faced by Somali Christians is very real, but some of those stories could be frightening to young children. Therefore, LHF is producing two mission project DVDs, one suited for younger children and one for upper elementary/junior high. Teachers may decide which is most appropriate for their students.
- A letter to the students from Mohamed Gurhan, LHF’s Somali translator.
- An activity and classroom resource kit with suggestions for generating enthusiasm for the project, as well as ideas for weaving the project throughout your daily/weekly curriculum.
- A take-home flyer for parents.
- A variety of large photos for bulletin boards or displays.
To order your “Mission: Possible” kit, send an e-mail to LHF with “Mission: Possible” entered in the subject line. Please be sure to include your name, school/church name, and mailing address in the body of the e-mail. Or, call the LHF office at (800)554-0723.