Volunteer for a mission opportunity that is challenging and rewarding by signing up for a two- to three-week stint as an instructor at the Concordia Lutheran Institute for the Holy Ministry (CLIHM) in Yambio, South Sudan. Please indicate your desire to serve by emailing Rev. Robert Rahn, Program Director.
Instructors are also needed for one- to two-week stints at Maor Theological College in Bishoftu, Ethiopia, and with Gambela Refugee Pastors in Gambela, Ethiopia.
The Concordia Lutheran Institute for Holy Ministry (CLIHM) also requires each student to participate in assigned fieldwork projects. The field work program for year one includes an assignment to local congregations. Emphasis is on leading the Lutheran liturgy and reading Scripture. The year two fieldwork program projects include visits to the prisons, hospitals and other public institutions, and special work with seniors and youth. Preaching assignments will be scheduled after the students have successfully completed Homiletic I.
The way the curriculum worked out is that Dogmatics will cover topics as follows:
- The Holy Bible (source, origin, inspiration, attributes, divisions, purposes and use and the Doctrine of God, natural and revealed, essence and attributes of the Triune God.)
- The Doctrine of Creation, the doctrine of angels and man, original, actual sin.
- The Doctrine of Salvation by grace, justification, saving grace, the person of Christ, the humiliation, the exaltation, the work of Christ, the office of Christ.
- The Doctrine of Sanctification, conversion, faith, justification by faith, sanctification through faith, good works, prayer, Christian life, election
- The Doctrine of Salvation through the Means of Grace, The Gospel, the Law and the Gospel, the sacraments, Baptism, the Lord’s Supper
- The Doctrine of the Church, visible church, government of the church, Office of the Keys, power to remit/retain sins, church discipline, office of the ministry, the Antichrist
- The Doctrine of the Last Things, temporal death, state of death, Second Coming, Millennium, the resurrection of the dead, Last Judgment, end of the world, eternal damnation, eternal salvation.
In order to complete their education, students must earn a minimum of 90 semester hours with a 2.0 GPA or higher and all assignments must be successfully finished. Each student is required to receive the approval of CLIHM faculty to be a candidate recommended for the pastoral ministry of the ELCS/S.
The CLIHM curriculum is evaluated each time a seminary class is accepted for the preparation for the Holy Ministry. The seminary curriculum is taught by volunteer instructors who come from Sudan and other countries of the world. Seminary students achieve the equivalent of a Bachelor of Divinity.
The new seminary classroom has been completed and is ready for your use!
Click here for a printable PDF of a sample daily schedule at CLIHM.
Click here for a printable PDF of the current CLIHM curriculum.
CLIHM FACULTY SCHEDULE (as of Feb. 2018)
|8-12||Rev. Bernie/Mrs. Ellie Lutz||Bible Geography/Gifts of Spirit|
|15-19||Rev. Bernie/Mrs. Ellie Lutz||Geography, Law/Gospel/Gifts|
|22-25||Rev. Bernie/Mrs. Ellie Lutz||Law/Gospel/English|
|26 & 29||Open||Local|
|30-31||Rev. Robert/Mrs. Eileen Roberts||NT Book/Greek/Liturgy/Worship|
|1-2||Rev. Robert/Mrs. Eileen Roberts||NT Book/Greek/Liturgy/Worship|
|5-9||Rev. Robert/Mrs. Eileen Roberts||NT Book/Greek/Liturgy/Worship|
|12-16||Rev. Robert/Mrs. Eileen Roberts||NT Book/Greek/Liturgy/Worship|
|19-23||Rev. Robert/Mrs. Eileen Roberts||NT Book/Greek/Liturgy/Worship|
|26-28||Rev. Robert/Mrs. Eileen Roberts||NT Book/Greek/Liturgy/Worship|
|21-30||Rev. Kevin Cramm||Introduction Old Testament|
|1-7||Rev. Kevin Cramm||Introduction Old Testament|
|8-11||Rev. Kevin Cramm||Introduction Old Testament|
|20-30||Rev. Vance Becker||Formula of Concord|
|1-8||Rev. Vance Becker||Formula of Concord|
|8-12||Rev. Dave Bolte||Dogmatics I Bible|
|13-19||Rev. Dave Bolte||Dogmatics I Bible|
|20-26||Rev. Dave Bolte||Dogmatics I Bible|
|27-31||Rev. Dave Bolte||Dogmatics I Bible|
|24-28||Rev. Rob/Mrs. Paula Lutz||Remedial English/Large Catechism|
|29-30||Rev. Rob/Mrs. Paula Lutz||Remedial English/Large Catechism|
|4-7||Rev. Mike Roth||Homiletics|
|8-14||Rev. Mike Roth||Homiletics|
|22-26||Rev. Mike Roth||Homiletics|
|1-17||Rev. Henry Malone||Gospel of John|
|17-30||Rev. Andrew Smith||A History of Christianity|
|1-7||Rev. Andrew Smith||A History of Christianity|
|7-21||Rev. Kebede Yegizu||TBD|
|22-31||Rev. James May||TBD|
|1-5||Rev. James May||TBD|
|14-27||Rev. Dr. Bernie Lutz/Mrs. Elly Lutz||TBD|
|28-30||Local Staff||Wrap up- Local Topics|
|1-31||SEMINARY ON BREAK|
- Communion Wafers
- English Dictionaries
- Clerical collar tabs
- Clerical shirts
- Black shoes
- Paraments (if you know of a congregation wanting to donate old ones)
- Choir robes (if a congregation is disposing of old ones)
- New black socks
- Inexpensive wrist watches (Walmart type)
- Composition notebooks
- Post it notes
- Communion ware (cup and ciborium would be good)
- Short sleeve shirts and trousers (maybe you would like to get rid of some)
- Toothpaste and brushes
- Solar desk lamps
Please complete and return the LHF Volunteer Waiver and Release Form prior to making your travel arrangements. The completed form can be mailed to:
Lutheran Heritage Foundation
Attn: South Sudan Seminary Program
51474 Romeo Plank Road
Macomb, MI 48042
Obtain your flight ticket through Raptim Travel. LHF has an account that will be charged.
Contact Brent Sprunger, Senior Travel Consultant
Team: 844-882-3230 x95012
Send your funds to LHF to cover tickets, including the ticket from Juba to Yambio. The ticket will be booked by the ELCSS/S which will be reimbursed by LHF. When gifts are sent to LHF, please indicate that they are for travel expenses and mark them with your name. Consider the below expenses when you consider making the trip:
- Cost from Detroit to Amsterdam to Entebbe, Uganda via Toronto ranges from $2,000 and up for flights.
- Other expenses along the way
- Stay at the Mark Queen Hotel in Kampala. Price is $100.
- Taxi from Entebbe Airport to Mark Queen is $50, and the taxi from the hotel to MAF Kajjansi Field is $25.
- Cash for any emergency or needs that might arise (at least $300)
- LHF takes out an insurance plan that provides for emergency evacuation if it should be needed. You will need to provide your name, home address, phone & e-mail, date of birth, and beneficiary. LHF will receive a copy of the policy/coverage.
- LHF provides for your food and lodging while in Yambio.
- Any excess funds you might submit will be used for the Sudan Seminary program.
- In addition to your teaching, on Saturday you will be expected to lead a study of the upcoming Sunday pericopes and sermon study.
- You will be expected to preach on Sunday at a local congregation.
- You will take a turn or two at presenting morning devotions, as arranged by Principal Japhet Dachi.
- The day begins with morning devotions at 7:30 a.m. followed by breakfast and classes beginning at 9 a.m. The schedule is finalized after you arrive.
- Your taxi driver meeting you at the Entebbe Airport is George.
- Question on visa application will ask for Guarantor in South Sudan. Your guarantor is Rev. Peter Anibati, Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church of South Sudan/Sudan, Gbudue State Yambio. Contact the LHF office to receive additional information.
- The cost of obtaining a South Sudan Visa is in the neighborhood of $300, with the processing fee and express mail services required. A letter of invitation is required from the Bishop that has an approval stamp from Ghubue State Security. You can obtain a visa at the airport for Uganda for $50.
- Provide weights, personal body weight, suitcase(s) weight and carry on weight. For the flight from Juba to Yambio, 25 kgs of weight are allowed, carry on free. Overweight fee is $1.25 per kilo. (1 kilo = 2.2 lbs)
- Be reminded that you are to grade each student by percentage and not letter grades. Tests should be given on which to grade and submit to Dean of Students, Rev. Nicholas Kumbo Louis.
- Costs involved in teaching in Bishoftu:
Transport from airport: $25
- Costs involved in teaching in Gambela:
Transport from airport: $50
Other items of a miscellaneous nature:
- BE CERTAIN TO BRING:
- A copy of the invitation letter sent by the ELCSS/S
- Passport valid for at least 6 months with your South Sudan visa
- Yellow fever card
- Mosquito spray
- Laundry services will be available
- Bring soap, a towel, and shampoo. Toilet paper and slippers are provided.
- We now have flush toilets (just like home), and a shower — but no hot water. This will be provided from a 50-gallon drum and brought to your bathroom for your showers.
- Generator electricity is available at night until 10 p.m. (for the most part).
- Your meals are served in the guest house where your room is located. The staff eats here. The students have their own dining hall.
- The new seminary classroom is ready for the roof and should be completed by March 1
- There is an internet center just dedicated on campus, which is fairly reliable.
- Have three or four extra passport photos and a photocopy of the first pages of your passport in case it is needed.
- Munchies/power bars/ could be brought.
- Cheap watches from Walmart make good gifts for those who don’t have such.
- Pack a dictionary or two and give to a student.
- A sample flight schedule is below using the least expensive route. Other routes are available but you incur whatever the cost will be. You would add the amount of a ticket to get from your address to one of the three Ethiopian Air access cities.
At a minimum, passport names are required to put a reservation on hold, and the following are required for ticket purchase:
- Name exactly as it appears on the passport (Suggested format: SURNAME/GIVEN NAME)
- Passenger Date of Birth
Depending on the passenger’s citizenship, certain visa restrictions and routing restrictions may also apply. Because of this, Raptim suggests you also provide the following details:
- Passport Issuing Country (required by Raptim)
- Passport Number
- Travelers Citizenship (required by Raptim)
- Passport Expiration Date (expiration must be 6 months after planned departure from country)
- Passenger’s residential address
Fruit of the Spirit – God’s Gift
Called to Be God’s People: An Introduction to the Old Testament
Introduction to Law & Gospel
Concordia Self-Study Bible
Halley’s Bible Handbook
Summary of Christian Doctrine
Luther’s Small Catechism
The Book of Concord